Grand Targhee As a travel writer specializing in skiing, I spent this past winter traveling to ski areas in Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, ...

5 Awesome and Cheap Ski Resorts in the USA

Grand Targhee

As a travel writer specializing in skiing, I spent this past winter traveling to ski areas in Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, and California in search of the best ski resort in the USA. All in all, I ended up visiting 12 resorts.

Several of the resorts were big world-class mega resorts, like Squaw Valley and Jackson Hole, and several were lesser-known mid-sized resorts.  Surprisingly, I found that I nearly always preferred the lesser-known areas. They tended to be friendlier, have more character, and I usually had an easier time finding stashes of untracked snow.

By the end of the tour I had a distinct preference for these smaller resorts. The experience is more pure, the prices are lower, and the snow is just as deep.

Here are five of my favorites.

1. Grand Targhee

2. Sugar Bowl

3. Sierra-at-Tahoe

4. Wolf Creek

5. The Best-Kept Secret in the Country

Some things are sacred — and this is one of them. Fishermen will never give up their secret spot, KFC will never tell you what’s in the seven special herbs and spices, and I cannot in good conscience reveal the name of what is perhaps the best-kept ski secret in the United States.

0 comments: