( © Unsplash ) In August 2007, I sent myself to Edinburgh, Scotland as a graduation (I graduated with a Master of Science, Managem...

10 Reasons Women Need to Solo Travel



In August 2007, I sent myself to Edinburgh, Scotland as a graduation (I graduated with a Master of Science, Management degree) and birthday gift. This wasn't my first time to Edinburgh, but it was my first time as a solo traveler. Was I nervous? Yes, I was. And it surprised me.


I stayed in a hostel, and some of my work colleagues teased me about it because of a horror film about a group of people who were terrorized while staying in a hostel. Plus, I don't think they believed I would travel by myself to another country.

Solo travel is a great way for women to break free of codependency and strengthen communication skills. You have to walk up to people and ask for directions to a museum, restaurant or store. Your family and friends can't help you navigate to your hotel or the airport. You are responsible for you.

My trip to Edinburgh was fabulous! I met many people from around the world, like China and Australia, and blended in so well that a retail service rep from a fashion store asked me if I wanted to open a credit card. I said, "Thank you, but I'm from The States."

Below are 10 reasons women need to solo travel. Don't be afraid to travel alone. You can learn about others and yourself at the same time. And you can release any prejudices and preconceived notions you may have about a country and its people.

10 Reasons Women Need To Solo Travel

1. Gain independence.
2. Become more confident.
3. Learn negotiation skills.
4. Get out of your comfort zone.
5. Heal from a life changing event.
6. Learn about a new culture.
7. Find love.
8. Experience the kindness of strangers.
9. Discover things about yourself you didn't know.
10. Solo travel saves you money.

via Huffington Post by Amandah Blackwell

0 comments: